Saturday, December 24, 2011

Bah Humbug Christmas Story



Well, it's the day before Christmas and all through the town. Everyone is shopping to prevent the dreaded Christmas gift frown. You need a good present for all the people you know or they feel neglected because appreciation you don't show. So spend all your money on the gifts you will get and start the new year with a huge amount of new debt.

I hate to be bah humbug but Christmas seems to be the most stressful time of year for me. It has become so commercialized that businesses all over the world just capitalize on the "gift giving" season to increase profits and sell sell sell.  It's really quite ridiculous.  It has lost the meaning of the birth of Christ or any of the religious aspects of it.  Many children nowadays don't even know the meaning of Christmas or why we all go crazy buying stuff for everyone once a year.  Lots of kids think it's just the time of year to get something out of their parents.

Now that I own a business i recognize the importance of using Christmas as a means to make money and it sickens me.  I want to close for the holidays completely but financially it is impossible.  I struggle all year to keep the business going and then December hits and everyone wants to cancel or hold memberships, stop going to classes and the place is a ghost town for a month.  Even though all the expenses are the same in December as they are every other month. My income is at about 30% of regular and on top of it, I'm expected to buy gifts for people i only see at Christmas and my daughter is asking for an iPad for Christ's sake,  AND I FEEL GUILTY ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO GET IT FOR HER!!!!  I cry alot at Christmas and need the support of my close friends just to feel like there is a purpose to this madness.



At this time i want to take a deep breath and let the worry go. Take just a moment to remember the joys of Christmas and why we celebrate it.  Remember that it is not the amount of money you spend on a gift but why you purchased it in the first place. Try to be nice to people around you and don't throw things when you hear the Christmas music.  I'm writing this article for all the people out there that are as stressed out as I am.  By Monday, the holidays are half over.  January 1st is a new year again and we have a chance to catch up.

As always remember - No matter how bad it seems, there is always someone worse off than you.  When things get really bad just think "At least I'm not THAT guy!!!!"





  

No comments:

Post a Comment